I'm a seventeen year old high school senior, who has decided to take a
year off after graduation to run, mush, read, write and relax. Part of
my gap year is to record my experiences, so I decided to create a blog.
I'm from Nome, a small town in rural Northwestern Alaska. For the past
three years, I have attended The Hotchkiss School, a New England Prep
school in Northwestern Connecticut. Hotchkiss has challenged me
academically, athletically and socially, but overall it has been a great
experience and I have definitely learned a lot about everything from
writing research papers to running track. However, I decided to take a
year off before starting Whitman College in order to reflect on my
experiences and have new ones.
Throughout the next year and a
half, I will be helping my neighbor train his dog team for the Iditarod,
a thousand mile sled dog race from Anchorage to Nome. I have been
mushing casually since I was two, but I am excited to learn about what
it takes to train dogs on a much higher caliber. I will be volunteering
for the local newspaper, The Nome Nugget to learn about what it takes to
be a journalist, since I am considering pursuing it as a career. One of
the most important aspects of my years at Hotchkiss has been running
cross country and track. I hope to continue to run competitively in
college, so I will train throughout the year. I am going to run with and
out help the Nome cross country team, which I am thrilled about since I
love all things running.
The only times I have blogged have been
for school, so this is definitely going to be a learning curve. However,
I promise to try to write interesting posts at least a few times a
week!
No comments:
Post a Comment